Remember that time Jacques Hopkins spilled the beans on Side Hustle Show about his online piano course? Yeah, me neither. But apparently it was a big deal back in 2017.
Fast forward to now and this guy has turned Piano in 21 Days into an empire raking in over $4 million. That’s right folks, he made millions teaching people how to play “Chopsticks” and “Fur Elise”.
I decided to catch up with our millionaire maestro again here in 2024 (because who doesn’t want advice from someone making bank off Beethoven?) We chatted about what he’s been up to lately and reminisced about all those times he laughed all the way to the bank.
- Squarespace – The place where you too can create a website for your own ridiculous side hustle!
- Indeed – Because we know you’re going to need help running your kazoo tutorial business! Get $75 credit towards job postings today!
- Factor — For when cooking is just one more thing between you and becoming a ukulele virtuoso. Use code ‘sidehustle50’ for half-off meal delivery service!
Piano In Just Three Weeks: A Decade Later…
Jacques first launched Piano in 21 Days while still in college after reading Tim Ferriss’ The 4-Hour Workweek. It’s like he saw the words “work less, make more” and thought, “I can teach people to play piano badly in no time!”
He wasn’t a professional pianist or even particularly passionate about it. But hey, who needs passion when you’ve got profit?
- The course was beginner-friendly (read: easy peasy lemon squeezy)
- The name Piano in 21 Days set clear expectations that this isn’t your grandma’s piano lesson.
Two Core Beliefs For Conversion:
Jacques shared his two golden rules for convincing people they need what you’re selling:
- “You CAN learn piano! Even if every other method has failed.”
- “This is THE course that will finally get ‘Moonlight Sonata’ under your fingers.”
Product Launch Formula:
If there’s one thing Jacques knows how to do well (besides playing C Major scale), it’s launching products. He follows Jeff Walker’s renowned Product Launch Formula which basically involves buttering up potential customers with freebies before hitting them with the sales pitch.
Selling Strategies That Actually Work!
In case you were wondering how Jacques gets so many folks to shell out their hard-earned cash on learning an instrument most of us gave up in middle school, here are some strategies he uses:
Limited Availability –
Nothing creates a sense of urgency like the fear of missing out. Jacques tells people there are only so many spots available and once they’re gone, that’s it!
Who doesn’t love a good deal? Offering discounts is another way to get people to sign up quickly.
Jacques also offers time-sensitive bonuses like cheat sheets or private coaching sessions. This gives potential customers an extra incentive to sign up before the deadline.
The Future Of The Online Course Guy:
While his piano course continues to bring in passive income (and make us all green with envy), Jacques’ main focus now is helping others create successful online courses through his website, TheOnlineCourseGuy.com, and podcast, The Online Course Show.
How Jacques Hopkins Sold $4M Worth of an Online Piano Course – Side Hustle Nation