To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s most significant and most crucial stories delivered to your inbox each day at three p.m. PDT, subscribe right here.
Happy Friday! Haje is enjoying some down time on the East Coast, so I am operating solo. As you can see from the not-so-surprising move by Elon Musk final evening and the sheer quantity of Twitter stories from our fabulous customer tech group nowadays, it has been all Twitter, all day. We guarantee to give you a small bit of that, of course, and a small of what else we’ve been operating on. Let’s dive in, shall we? — Christine
The TechCrunch Top three
- Flying the public coop: Now that Elon Musk owns Twitter, its days are numbered as a public enterprise. In truth, Ivan writes, Twitter will be delisted on November eight — voting day for the U.S. midterm elections.
- Caging the bird: Over to Europe, exactly where just a couple of hours into essentially owning Twitter, Musk currently identified himself on the incorrect finish of European Union officials, who corrected him right after he tweeted about how totally free he thinks Twitter is now. Natasha L has additional.
- Big Tweet Chief: Reports now say that Musk will take the CEO part for himself, Ivan writes, right after he ousted Twitter’s 4 top rated executives, as reported by Amanda.
For additional news on the blue bird, head down to the Big Tech Inc. section, exactly where we have you covered.
Startups and VC
Unfortunately, the hits preserve coming for 54gene, an African genomics startup focused on delivering additional African genetic material to pharmaceutical analysis — there is just three% now, Tage reports. After some months of layoffs and a CEO exit, the enterprise confirmed that it not only produced but yet another round of layoffs — this time of one hundred folks — but it also slashed its valuation by more than $one hundred million.
And we have 3 additional for you:
- Robot riot: Galen Robotics has a new robot that will help with ear, nose and throat surgeries. Oh, and it secured $15 million in new funding, Andrew reports.
- Follow the yellow brick road: Game studio Hidden Door is applying narrative AI to turn fiction into immersive part-playing experiences, and Rebecca writes it is testing out “The Wizard of Oz.”
- Does any person else use this word?: I was delighted to see that there is a enterprise named Skidattl. The enterprise is applying augmented reality to show customers what folks are performing about them, in what Rebecca writes is “like a Bat-Signal for fun.”
five strategies biotech startups can mitigate danger to develop sustainably in the lengthy run
Thanks to R&D and clinical trials, life science startups have lengthy lead occasions prior to they can bring their capital-intensive goods to market place.
“But,” asks Omar Khalil, a companion at Santé Ventures, “what happens when the funding suddenly dries up?”
In a guest post for TC+, he shares 5 approaches for biotech startups that are attempting to keep warm via the winter ahead.
“It’s still too early to know whether this is a short-term correction, or if it’s a new normal that will be maintained for the foreseeable future.”
Three additional from the TC+ group:
TechCrunch+ is our membership plan that assists founders and startup teams get ahead of the pack. You can sign up right here. Use code “DC” for a 15% discount on an annual subscription!
Big Tech Inc.
As promised, we have even additional Twitter news for you to get pleasure from. As I create this, quite a few of my colleagues hopped on Twitter Spaces to speak about all this. One of the most recent bits of news from Taylor was that Elon Musk was forming a content material moderation “council” to make specific choices — for instance, about account reinstatements for, cough, Donald Trump. Here’s two additional:
Catching you up on additional earnings reports:
And we have 4 additional for you: